Monday, April 29, 2013

Nothing is Getting Done if You're Done at Getting

I'm embarking on what could potentially be my first book. Jonathan, why would you want to write a book about failure in college? First, I'm currently finishing up my 6th year and going for another round. Thus, second, I'm a valid source. And last, it feels good to be honest and open. The purpose is to sort of teach the things NOT to do. Like Dave Ramsey, I'm not teaching you anything you don't already know, I'm just helping you realize that these things (like debt) do in fact prove detrimental if you don't avoid them at all costs.
Shouldn't I take advice from someone who is succeeding in college? You should do both. Think about robbing a bank. You would definitely want to learn from someone who succeeded but you'd also want to learn a few things to avoid from the guy who royally screwed up his "perfect plan" for robbing a bank. I'm definitely the latter example.
Finally, I wish I could tell you that I went from college failure to college success but the fact of the matter is that I am in the process of figuring it all out and I hope you'll realize that sometimes the journey in between has better insight than the story after.
With that said, here's my first bit of advice. DO NOT MISS CLASSES. I don't care whether or not your university or professor has a class attendance policy. I could care less if your professor tells you that you have 3 classes before absences start counting against you (I'm convinced this sort of thing was made to give students a false sense of security). And I certainly don't care if you have a boring professor. Your excuses sound like a fork scraping against someone's teeth. If there is one thing I wish I could go back and change, it is missing classes. So suck it up kid and get to class.
This bit of advice has two subpoints of advice:

  • Avoid enrolling in classes that aren't  during your "peak hours" - If you're not a morning person I better not hear about you registering for some 8 o'clock. That's definitely making a HUGE deposit into the Stupid Bank with -1.5% interest. However, I'm also not saying that if you're a night person to register for night classes (that's for grown folk), instead just register for classes that come later in the day.  
  • Don't lie to yourself and say, I'm young bro! I can stay up through the wee hours of the morning and still get to classes. That one time, turns into 3 times, and those 3 times turn into too many times. Next thing you know, you're in a detrimental cycle of a game called "sleep catch-up." You might be getting to classes but your cognition is going to be slower than molasses rolling down a plank of wood in the middle of January. In other words, get adequate sleep and save yourself the stress of getting up in time for class. 
That does it for Lesson 1. Now here's the hardest part. Apply this to your life starting now. Nothing is getting done if you're done at getting.

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment